Go Small Schools! July 26, 2007Posted by Jeff in Education.
Here are some results from a new Department of Education study thst compares “rural” schools with “urban” schools. Rural schools account for about 1/3 of all US public schools and are defined as schools in areas with fewer than 500 people per square mile.
- At all grade levels, rural students did better on national science tests than children in cities
- In math, rural kids did better than urban students at every grade level.
- Rural fourth- and eighth-graders read better than their urban peers.
- Among teachers, rural educators were more likely to report being satisfied with teaching conditions in their schools, even though their salaries were lower
- Rural schools tend to be smaller and have lower student-teacher ratios than other schools