3 out of 5 never read a book after high school June 27, 2007Posted by Jeff in Books.
I originally heard this on the radio (don’t remember the source), but I found the same data quoted by Para Publishing, who is quoting Jerrold Jenkins:
- 58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.
- 42% of college graduates never read another book.
- 80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.
- 70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
- 57% of new books are not read to completion.
This statistic makes me blush. I believe another stat from that source was that the average page where people stop reading a book is page 18.
Reading teaches, challenges, and helps one think more critically - three things that most of us can use. Try to read a book by the end of the summer. Here are a few of my favorites:
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Innumeracy by John Allen Paulos
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell
And the one I’m reading right now:
- Einstein: The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark